October 17, 2007

Squash soup

My friend Jana asked me if I knew a good recipe for squash soup. Well, here it is, Jana. We had this for dinner tonight and the kids want this in their lunch tomorrow! It is so yummy. I used a butternut squash and an acorn squash (it may also be called a Dutch squash?)
First, I roasted the two different squashes in a 425' oven for 45 mins. with some olive oil, onion, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, and some fresh thyme & rosemary from the garden. I put a bit of water in the bottom of the roasting pan, too.
In a large soup pot, I slowly cooked one onion in a bit of butter & olive oil, then added the baked squash (after peeling it, of course) Add a few chopped garlic cloves, 6 or so cups of chicken broth, and some more fresh thyme. Cook this until the squash is very soft. I used a hand blender to puree the soup, but you also do this in batches in the blender. Add about 1/2 cup of heavy cream, and more water, if you think the soup is too thick. Salt & pepper to taste.I roasted the seeds of the acorn squash in a bit of olive oil & sea salt, thinking I would use these little crunchy morsels to garnish the soup, BUT......(**shh**don't tell anyone)...i burnt them! Oops! Trinity and I ate the not-too-too-blackened-ones, and they were pretty good. However, I did use a cute cookie cutter to make star shapes with a bit of the butternut squash, then I sprinkled the stars with salt & pepper and browned them up in a bit of butter.
It's not that I don't have anything else to do, it's just that I would rather do this than fold laundry!
Here is Grace's soup. Oh, garnish with some fresh sage, too.So we had, squash soup, bread, salami, an assortment of cheese, and a salad.
We served the meal with a rose (picture an accent over the last e) wine from France. mmmThis was such a perfect autumn supper. Thanks for the great idea, Jana!
I was planning on making some caramelized pears served over vanilla ice cream
for dessert, but the supper was quite filling, so we had pomegranates instead.

No comments: