May 18, 2007

black bean soup & jicama salad

Tonight we had a spicy black bean soup. It is a quick dinner to make and everyone loves it. When I gave up meat for lent I would make this with vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
We never have left-overs!
Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in soup pot.
Add 1& 1/2 cups chopped purple onion,
2 garlic cloves
1 Tbsp cumin
1 & 1/2 chopped jalapeno.
Cook for 5 mins.
Add 2 x 15oz. cans black beans
1 litre chicken broth
juice of 1/2 a lime
1/2 cup corn (I forgot to put it in the picture)
bring to a boil, then let soup simmer for about 15 mins.
Just before serving stir in a bunch of cilantro.
While the soup was simmering I made a jicama salad. Jicama is a Mexican root vegetable and is very refreshing and totally delish.
I just mixed together
1 Tbsp lime juice, (next time I will use orange juice)
1 tsp olive oil,
salt & pepper,
1/2 cup purple onion,
1 Tbsp cilantro
and a julienne sliced jicama.
Here is the dinner. I also cut up some corn tortillas and crisped them up with a bit of vegetable oil.(put these in the soup instead of crackers) The jicama salad is served on a lettuce leaf. The black bean soup is served with a bit of sour cream, a slice of lime and extra jalapeno.
Pineapple and mangoes for dessert.mmm...

No comments: