November 8, 2007

Lest we forget


Tonight Mary Margaret is performing in a Remembrance day dance drama at her school. Oh boy...'jazz hands!' **kidding**... (sort of).
On a more serious note, please read Felicity's poem. It is very touching.
In Flanders Fields by Willy Werner

Thoughts of a Soldier
By Felicity Rhone



They said there was glory to die for one’s country,
They said there was victory’s joy to be had.
They goaded me onward, and hungry for war,
I left for the battle lighthearted and glad.



But now, as I watch all the young people fall,
Like leaves, when the cold chill of winter is near,
I wonder if anyone thinks of the honour,
or if they would rather be home, and not here.



I think of the families, worrying sadly,
As they wait for their father or brother’s return.
As they look at the picture that hangs on the wall,
Of a soldier for whom they may ne’er cease to yearn.



When I lie in the barracks, unable to sleep,
With a fear from the shadow of death,
I think of the soldiers who never will rise,
Who already have drawn their last breath.



I think of the people that they left behind,
Of the loved ones who always will mourn,
And I wonder if anyone else shares my thoughts,
And prays for those souls every morn?

1 comment:

Chris Rhone said...

Fantastic poem Felicity.

Love, Uncle Christopher