September 6, 2007

cue the violin music

Here's a sad story:

There was a mama deer and her sweet little one, eating apples in our yard. *cuteness*
Of course , I want to take a photo for the blog, so I make sure the dog is inside, then I go outside on the balcony with Trinity to take a pic. Oops! All the other kids want to see, too, so everyone comes outside. Yes, even the dog! Prima chases the deer (as we usually tell her to do) out of our yard. No big deal except for the fact that I did not get a picture of the deer. Then Mary comes running in the house telling me that PRIMA GOT THE DEER!! At first I think she is pulling my leg -- she does that a lot!, but, it turns out that the young deer IS hurt, ( not by the dog, though). The deer is on the other side of the fence in the forest, struggling to get up. The kids were so upset. I called the vet, who gave me a number, that number gave me another number, that gave me another number. No -one was interested in the deer. By the time I got off the phone and went to the forest , the deer was no longer moving. I tried to be positive, and we were all hoping that the deer was just resting, and would get up again. It was very sad, as we could still see the mama deer, standing not too far away.The next day, I got a return call from the conservation officer, who was very nice and offered to take the deer away on his way home from work.
Is it weird that I took a picture of Greg and officer X? taking the dead deer away? BTW, the conservation officer said the deer had no injuries, but must have died from fright, or exhaustion.
Poor thing.

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.

No comments: