August 30, 2007

The desk

I bought an old desk for Felicity ($15.00 at Salvation Army) and have spent the past 3 days, painting it. I don't really have a good before picture, but Mary said it was the ugliest desk she had ever seen. It is a metal desk with fake wood (formica?) on the top & on the drawers. The desk was from a gov't office.
Mary took this photo of me, sanding/cleaning the desk before painting it. Too bad you can't tell how awful it really looked. I bought it because it is big enough for her computer, with lots of extra space, and the drawers are quite spacious. Also, the chrome legs are cool.
All done. After all the painting was done, I covered the top with some self adhesive paper - the kind you can line your cupboards with. The paper is neat, it looks like leather. It would have been impossible to put the paper on properly without Mary's help. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mary Margaret!
The front of the drawers are decorated with some neat stickers. I was going to do some freehand painting, or stenciling, but this looks great, and Felicity can change it up any time she wants to.
A side view of the desk. I ordered a piece of glass for the top of the desk, so Felicity can put her poems, or pictures, or whatever on the top of her desk (under the glass). She can change it up anytime, and add to the desk, like a scrapbook. I hope Felicity likes it. She is in Vancouver with Eva right now, and hasn't seen it yet. The girls will be home on Saturday. Yay!

No comments: