February 25, 2007

Madeleine cakes


Last night, Trinity and Grace were a bit difficult to put to bed, so I promised them that I would make Madeleines in the morning for them if they were good. So, of course this morning I got out my french cook book and madeleine tray and got busy baking.They are delicious little cakes, shaped like shells and flavoured either with orange or lemon. I used oranges today.Here is the recipe for 12 madeleines. ( I double the recipe for my family)
1 1/4 cups flour grated rind of 1 orange
1 tsp baking powder 1 Tbsp orange juice
2 eggs 6 Tbsp melted butter
3/4 cup icing sugar, plus a bit more for dusting

Sift together flour & baking powder.
beat the eggs and sugar together for 5 minutes.
gently fold in the orange rind and juice.
Alternately fold in the flour mixture
and melted butter in four batches.
Let the mixture sit for 10 mins, then
spoon into the buttered shell shaped tin.
Bake for 12-15 minutes @ 375' F.
Tip out on to wire rack to cool,
Sprinkle with a bit of icing sugar and enjoy.

No comments: