February 23, 2007

Cochinita Pibil

A couple weeks ago I made this Mexican (Yucatan) dish called "cochinita pibil". I have no idea what it means, but it is so good. It is easy to make, too. I bought the red spice called (maybe) achiote while Greg and I were in Mexico with Mike & Carmen two years ago. (Carmen is from Mexico and was the perfect guide.) To make this dish you simply marinate some pork (or chicken) with the achiote paste mixed with a bit of salt, garlic, the juice or a lime and an orange, some vinegar and a splash of tequila. Then let it sit in the fridge overnight.
It is supposed to be covered in banana leaves but I couldn't find any! Then you simply bake it in the oven for a couple of hours. The pork is very tender and pulls apart easily. It is not spicy, but you can add some hot sauce, if you like. I serve cochinita pibil with tortillas, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and rice. The kids love this. There is an onion salad that is often served with this dish, but I haven't made that before. The hot sauce is also from Mexico. I usually make the tortillas myself, but these ones were bought and were very good, too.

No comments: