December 20, 2007

Easy as pie

Apple pie anyone?
Step 1. make the pastry, then roll it out.
I sprinkle a bit of flour on the bottom pastry to prevent the crust from getting soggy.
Next step, slice apples. My super-duper-apple-peeler-corer-slicer was being moody - a bit like a teenager. One moment it was awesome, cooperative and hard working, the next moment it was refusing to peel the apple, getting all jammed up, and just being a pain in the neck. Sort of like an eyeball rolling, door-slamming, dramatic teenager. But, after a stern lecture, the super-duper-apple-peeler-corer-slicer had no choice but to listen to reason and peel, core and slice the apples as any other well behaved peeler-slicer-corer would do. *phew*

Where was I? Right. The pies. Sprinkle apples with sugar , spice and everything nice, then put the apples in the pie thingy.
For every 8 apples I use
1/3 cup white sugar,
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp flour
some cinnamon, I don't measure it, but maybe 2 tsp? more?
Dash of nutmeg and cloves (if I can find it in my cupboard)
Roll out the top pastry, making some slices in the top. I used a small cookie cutter to cut out a star shape in the centre. You can freeze the pies now and bake them later, which is what I did, or you can bake them right away. Wait. Before baking, brush the top of the pie with an egg wash. (1 egg mixed with 1 Tbsp of cream or milk.) This just makes the pie shiny.
Bake for 10 minutes at 425* then turn the oven down to 350* and bake for another 30 - 40 minutes of until the pie is sort of bubbling and nice and golden brown. Sprinkle with a little bit of sugar as soon as it comes out of the oven. mmm.
I also made 4 pecan pies.
See?

No comments: